Supernatural scarf – finished!

I finished the scarf I crocheted for the I Made a Thing group over on Dreamwidth.  Just under the wire, too – the deadline was 2/6 and I finished the night of 2/5.  If I hadn’t decided to make some last-minute Christmas gifts I probably would have been done sooner. 

The prompt I chose was for Supernatural – Salt, so immediately my mind went to rock salt and shotgun shells.  For those that aren’t familiar with the show, the main characters use shotgun shells filled with rock salt to disperse ghosts.  Almost immediately I could picture this scarf in my head; I knew exactly how I wanted it to look, and couldn’t wait to get started on it.  I used Red Heart yarn, beads, and felt, and made the pattern up as I went along.  Though, in all honesty, it’s a pretty easy pattern to figure.  🙂

The most time-consuming part was hand-sewing all the beads to the finished piece.

Image

The whole scarf is 6 inches wide and 76 inches long.  Long enough to wrap around and also have a nice length left hanging at each end.  One end of the scarf is a box of rock salt and the other end is a few shotgun shells, and the middle is the rock salt being poured into the shotgun shells.  I had to redo the shells a few times before I felt like I got something that resembled shells.  Hopefully they resemble shotgun shells to everyone else, lol.

I found felt letters at AC Moore that had a sticky back, so that saved a lot of time – I don’t think I would have been able to cut out such nice looking letters by hand.  I also stitched them down to make them a little more secure, since I have no idea how they’ll stand up to being washed.  I was going to add more details to the ‘box’, but my embroidering skills are non-existent, so, plain box it is!

Image  Image

Close-ups of the beading.  The beads I found – which were all different sizes and shapes and varied a bit in color – were a pretty good approximation of rock salt crystals, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, they also blend into the color of the scarf a little too well, lol.  They’re a bit hard to see in person, unless you’re really close, and almost impossible to see in the pictures.  I only added them to the ends of the scarf not the middle, and sewed them on so that there was a lot together at the ends, but then they spread out and faded into the crochet.  The fact that they match the yarn so well helps with that, lol.

I don’t know what I’ll do with this, because we don’t really need scarves down here in NC, but it was really fun to make.  I enjoyed coming up with the concept, and figuring out how to make it work, and seeing it take shape the way I wanted it to.  It really got me interested in creating my own patterns!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s