I recently made a blanket for a co-worker’s new baby girl. Luckily, I already had some baby yarn in my stash from a commission last year. It was even the right colors!
You might remember how, after organizing and seeing exactly how much yarn I actually had, I resolved to only used stashed yarn for any new projects. I didn’t have a lot of baby yarn, but I had enough to get a decent sized blanket. It came out a bit of an odd size, because I only used what I had, nothing more, but I think it’s still a good size for a baby blanket.
36 inches wide, by 26 inches long/tall. Big enough to wrap a baby in, and that’s all that matters.
I used Bernat Softee Baby in Pink, Mint, and White, and an H hook.
I totally winged the pattern, because I didn’t know exactly how much yarn I had, and didn’t want a pattern that would eat it up. So I was just going to do double crochets with blocks of color, but then I remembered a stitch pattern that I’d used in a previous project. I wasn’t sure if it would work without redoing the whole thing, but it totally worked! Yay!
I was going to make both colored sections the same, but decided to switch them up a little bit.
I wrote the pattern down, so if there’s interest I’ll share it. It probably needs to be tested before I release it into the wild, though. It’s an easy enough pattern to make longer. It only came out the size it did because that was literally all the yarn I had. If I’d more yarn it would have been a bit bigger.