I didn’t realize it had been so long since my last update. Oops? I’d apologize, but I’m sure it will happen again. I’m really bad about recognizing the passage of time. Like, how much time has passed since such-and-such happened. Oh, has it been a week since our first date after which I said I’d call you and now you don’t want to talk to me or go out again? <–actual thing that happened.
Anyway. Flower Crown.
There’s a comic book convention in Charlotte, NC every year called Heroes Con, and this year was my third year attending. It’s always fun and entertaining, and I always end up spending more than I planned and bringing home more books than I really have room for.
This year, for some reason, literally a week before the con I got it into my head that I wanted to make a flower crown to wear. I wasn’t cosplaying, I just… wanted to wear a flower crown. I’m a little old to pull off a flower crown in my everyday life, but at Heroes Con I could totally get away with it.
After poking around on Pinterest and Ravelry, I decided to use Lucy of Attic24’s pattern for May Roses. It was simple and easy and worked perfectly with the yarn I’d chosen.
I’d picked up this pack of Bonbons on clearance at Michael’s without any idea what to use it for. Turned out it was perfect for this project! The size of the yarn meant that the flowers wouldn’t be too big. I didn’t want a huge, over-the-top flower crown, just something small and simple.
I made a flower in each color except white, and the leaves in the green. They worked up super quick and easy. I wasn’t really sure how I was going to attach them, or what I was going to attach them to, but ultimately decided to go with a tie-on headband type thing.
I grabbed some leftover Red Heart from my stash (TLC Essentials in Light Celery, to be exact) and crocheted enough chains to fit my head with length left to tie. Then I noted the middle, laid out where I wanted the flowers and leaves to go and put stitch markers at either end of that. I slipstitched into the chain until I got to the first stitch marker, then single crocheted across the to the next stitch marker so I would have a good base to sew the flowers to, and slipstitched into the rest of the chain.
I worked on this the entire week leading up to the con, and was sewing the last of the flowers on the night before. I love how it turned out!
I even got Cody to model it for me:
She rolled over and tried to eat it two seconds after I took the picture, but she looked cute before that.
I’ve never made anything like this before, so I’m really proud of how it turned out. And I got quite a few compliments on it, too.
I have no idea what I’m going to do with it now, though, lol.