A couple of years ago my dad built some bookcases for me, and because the ceilings in the new(ish, now) house are 9 feet high he built the bookcases 8 feet tall. Great! More room for books!
Except, even though I’m 5foot 8inches I still needed help getting to the top shelves. So I picked up a Bekvam stepstool from Ikea. I knew I wanted to do something to it, I didn’t want to just leave it plain, but it took me a while to figure out what to do.
Finally, this year I had a plan. And, unsurprisingly, that idea involved crochet.
First, I stained the stool using a water-based wood stain in a white wash color. Only two coats though, because I wanted the grain to show through. When that was done I crocheted some ‘socks’ using Bernat Super Value from my stash in the Pizazz colorway. Which, by the way, I could not find ANYWHERE when the skein ran out on me. I didn’t have a full skein to start with, as I’d used it for another project. So instead of covering all eight leg sections (four on the floor and four above the first step) I was only able to do four.
I decided to stagger them, because why not. I really like the way it looks; I’m not sure I would have liked all the leg parts covered. This way there’s just enough color. I crocheted each sock flat, and then sewed them on.